Growing up in a tropical country, to experience snow is a dream come true. But how can it be when in the Philippines, all year round it is just either sunny or rainy?
Traveling to countries in North America or Europe during winter is far from reality because it is so expensive. With the opening of the direct flights from Manila to Melbourne of the budget airlines, Filipinos can now afford to experience the chilling season and play with ice falling from the sky.
Time of winter in Australia is the complete opposite of the places in the west. This season in the land down under is between June to September every year. But do note though that not all parts of Australia experience snow. It is a rare phenomenon to happen in major cities and northern parts of the country. It commonly snows in the Australian Alps in Victoria and New South Wales. Snow falls too in the most inland areas of Tasmania, although the snow cover is lighter.
There is one place very close to Melbourne where snow is guaranteed- in Mt. Buller. It is a three to four hour drive where the scenery is breathtaking. Once you reach the place, be awed by the white slopes and fairy-tale character sparkling through a blanket of snow.
Mt. Buller is a ski and snowboard resorts and offers trainings as well. It has three terrain parks that are designed for all skill levels. You can also enjoy tobogganing here. The beautiful alpine village makes it very picturesquely atop the white mountain.
How to get to Mt. Buller really depends on your budget. It can be reached by road by driving or by air if you want to maximize the time but it is expensive. There are shuttle services available as well. If you are on a budget, there are tours and packages available as low as 85 AUD. I have tried personally the sightseeing day tour package being offered by Sightseeing Tours Australia. You can book through their website, here.
Whether you will stay in this snow wonderland for just a day or overnight, or maybe planning to extend for a week, there are plenty of things you can do.
- You can learn about the background of the mountain village through the History Hunt and the Alpine Museum. This is perfect for the whole family.
- If you are into discovering more about Mt. Buller, an Audio Tour is available. The best thing about this activity is, its free!
- Have yourself a spa treat!
- If you are into sports and fitness, a gym is available where physio, myotherapy and massages are offered.
- Learn how to snowboard and ski. The resort is famous for its school.
- Take a walk in the chilly parks covered with snow where you’ll see diverse collection of sculptural pieces.
- First timer? Tobogganing is a great way to experience by all ages. It is fun!
- Scenic chairlift is also available for anyone to enjoy the view from the top.
- Having more than enough of snow? Cinema and Air Zone are available.
For complete information on activities, how to get to the resort, passes and others, you can check out the website, here.