Cambodia, one of the famous tourist destination countries in Southeast Asia. Home to two favorite cities of travelers in terms of exploring temples and cultural immersion, Phnom Penh the capital city and Siem Reap, the fastest growing place outside the capital due to millions of visiting tourists each year.
Siem Reap is the gateway to the majestic ruins of Angkor, the former seat of power of the Khmer Empire that once ruled the region. It’s history dates back all the way to the 9th century. The traces of the past provide the city with wealth of attractions and activities.
Angkor Complex is one of the principal archeological sites in the world and the largest in operation. It is so vast covering around 400 kilometer square. It houses the undeniably outstanding remains of Angkor Wat, the main temple and other famous temples with sculptural decoration like Angkor Thom, the Bayon among many others. It is a UNESCO site and protected by different programmes because of its importance in the history of mankind. The park complex is inhabited and many of the villagers are descendants of the people during the Angkor period.
With the impressive monuments and features that testify to an exceptional past civilization, it is a favorite destination for leisure and research. Other attractions in the complex include Preah Khan and Ta Prohm.
Tip: You can book different fun activities and Angkor Complex Tours via Klook. It is easy and hassle free!
Top 5 must visit temples in Angkor Complex:
- Angkor Wat– the main, the largest and most preserved temple. It depicts the heaven on earth and the jewel of the Angkor archaeological complex. Protected by a huge moat and outer wall, it has five towers shaped like lotus buds and three tiered galleries.
- Angkor Thom– the last capital of the empire. It features high walls and massive moat that is designed to protect it from invaders. Inside it are monuments such as the temple of Baphuon, Phimeanakas and the Terrace of Elephants.
- Bayon– also known as the temple of stone faces. Sculpted in towers are stone faces which represent gods and goddesses.
- Ta Phrom– the temple that was used as a location of the film Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie. There are trees growing out of the ruins, its distinct feature.
Since Angkor is huge complex, it is best to join a group tour that includes shuttle service and tour guide. There are different tour operators you can find online, or you can book via Klook, convenient and hassle free! These top 5 must visit temples in Angkor are usually included in almost all tours.
Angkor Temples Tour
Angkor Temples Sunrise Tour
Sunrise Angkor Temples Small Circuit Private Tour by Tuk-Tuk
Angkor Temples Small Circuit Private Tour by Tuk-Tuk
Angkor Temples Grand Circuit Private Tour by Tuk-Tuk
Angkor Sunrise Cycling
Angkor Temple Complex Sunset Tour over Bakheng Hill from Siem Reap
Classic Angkor Wat Full Day with Sunset Tour
2 Day Angkor Exploration Private Tour by Tuk-Tuk
3 Day Angkor Exploration Private Tour by Tuk-Tuk
Bike the Temples
Angkor Wat Sunrise Tour with Monk Blessing
Most of the tours does not include the entrance fees yet. There are 3 types of passes available:
- 1-day pass – US$ 37
- 3-day pass – US$ 62
- 7-day pass – US$ 72
The Angkor Ticket Office (Angkor Enterprise) is the only official place where you can purchase entrance tickets to Angkor Archaeological Park. Tickets purchased elsewhere are not valid. Tickets can not be purchased online.
The entrance ticket can be paid in cash (US Dollars, Cambodian Riel, Thai Bath, Euro) or by credit card (Discover, Visa, Mastercard, Union Pay, JCB, Diners Club). There is an on-site ATM available to withdraw cash.
How to get to Siem Reap:
- Travel requirements- if you are a citizen of ASEAN member country, it is VISA free. But if not, you have to secure a travel VISA. Of course, you need to have a passport that is valid for at least six months. Cambodia offers e- VISA, an easy application online that saves you time and effort.
Tip: You can book private transfers from Siem Reap Airport to your hotel and vice versa:
Private Siem Reap International Airport Transfers (REP) for Siem Reap
Private Siem Reap International Airport Tuk-tuk Transfers (REP) for Siem Reap
Private Siem Reap International Airport (REP) Transfers for Siem Reap
Private Siem Reap International Airport (REP) Transfers for Siem Reap (Van)
- There are direct flights going to Siem Reap. Alternatively, you can take a bus for a cross- country land travel from Thailand.
Tip: Book your cross- country bus service through the links below:
Shared Bus Transfer between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh by Giant Ibis
Shared Bus Transfer between Siem Reap and Sihanoukville by Giant Ibis
- Transportation in the city is easy. It is very walkable and different modes of transportation are available like TukTuk. Mobile ride hailing app Grab is also available.
- Cambonian Riel is the official currency in the country, but in Siem Reap, US Dollars is widely used and most of the pricing of establishments is in dollars.
Tip: Book your mode of transportation to be used in exploring Siem Reap via Klook!
Private Tuk-Tuk Charter for Siem Reap
2 Day Angkor Exploration Private Tour by Tuk-Tuk
Siem Reap Bicycle Rental
Siem Reap Motorbike Rental